Here Are Top Interesting Facts About The Pineal Gland:
Truth, Info, Location
1) The pineal gland, also known as epiphysis cerebri or the pineal body, is a small structure, situated in the center of the head and has the size of a pea. It is not technically a part of the brain since it is not protected by the blood-brain barrier.
2) Originally thought to be vestigial, its function was discovered in the 1950s during the experimentation on cows.
3) In mammals, this gland responds indirectly to light due to the fact that it receives messages along fibers from nerve cells of the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hypothalamus.
4) Rene D. was interested in the location of the pineal in relation to the cerebrospinal fluid and said that this gland “secreted our thoughts” which then moved through the cerebrospinal fluid to enter the rest of the brain. He also believed that this gland is the “principal seat of the soul.”
5) This gland has been a topic of great debate over the past thirty years as scientists are still trying to discover its full biological functions.
6) Some researchers have agreed that this organ may produce DMT – a psychoactive chemical which is structurally similar to serotonin and melatonin.
7) JC Callaway, a medical researcher, hinted that the naturally occurring DMT might be strongly associated with visual dream phenomena, where brain DMT levels are regularly elevated to induce visual images.
8) All this has not been proved by empirical evidence, however, DMT, along with the precursors for its biosynthesis, have been found in pineal glands of rats.
Melatonin – Pineal Hormone
9) Serotonin, a neurotransmitter responsible for our mood, is transformed into melatonin only in this gland. Melatonin is a chemical which tells us when to get up in the morning and when to go to sleep at night. Melatonin levels remain high during sleep until this organ stops the production in response to light.
10) Stresses that affect this gland function include radiation, unusually dark and light rhythms, nutritional imbalances, magnetic fields, high altitude, temperature swings, and emotional stress. Another important factor involved in affecting the function of this gland can be the excessive levels of a SSRI-antidepressant in the bloodstream.
Fluoride And Calcification
11) In the 1990s, Jennifer Luke, a British scientist, discovered that fluoride accumulates at remarkably high levels in this gland. This is one reason for its calcification. This calcifying effect disrupts notably its proper functions.
12) According to studies, fluoride can also lead to neurodegenerative diseases, such as – Alzheimer’s, that is associated with the human body’s inability to produce sufficient melatonin due to a calcified gland.
13) Also, fluoride has a variety of adverse effects on the body, including a decreased melatonin production, according to a 2006 review on fluoride toxicity issued in the National Research Council.
Fluoride And Early Puberty
14) In the present day, adolescents in the US are going through puberty at earlier ages than in the past. This is problematic since there are numerous health risks linked to early puberty.
15) Research has concluded that fluoride’s effect on this gland could be a significant cause of early puberty. For example, Jennifer Luke established that regular fluoride exposure is associated with a decrease in the amount of melatonin circulation, that leads to an accelerated sexual maturation in females.
16) Pineal cysts are cysts of this gland. In humans, both delayed puberty and precocious puberty have been associated with pineal cysts and tumors. Interestingly, the majority of these cysts do not cause any signs and symptoms. Nevertheless, large cysts may cause pressure on nearby brain functions and structures resulting in neurological symptoms.
Third Eye (Ajna Chakra)
17) This organ was frequently dubbed the “third eye” for numerous reasons, including its connection to light and its location deep in the center of the brain. According to esoteric and mystic spiritual traditions, it serves as a metaphysical connection between the spiritual and physical worlds.
18) The Vedic energy system states that this gland is strongly associated with the Ajna chakra or the third eye.
19) Ajna chakra is vital for mental and physical health, and its wellbeing has been connected to creativity, memory, essential thinking skills, and intuition. Moreover, this center powers your capacity to see the truth of a situation where none may be apparent as well as to see through false formations.
Ways to Activate Ajna Chakra – Decalcify Your Pineal Gland
20) This gland responds to the bioelectric signals of dark and light, and profound meditation activates it. With regular practice, you can learn to control and direct energy to this highly-sensitive organ.
21) Reciting a Sanskrit mantra can also help connect you with your ability to hear inwardly. For instance, repeating the seed sound of the third eye chakra – AUM, for at least 108 times, daily, may activate this center.
22) Using essential oils (such as – oregano oil) over the forehead may help in balancing and cleansing the Ajna chakra.
23) Raw cacao is a good decalcifier because it contains anandamide (the bliss chemical), high levels of antioxidants, and phenethylamine (the Love chemical).
24) Practicing a visualization meditation is considered one of the most efficient and beneficial meditation to open the Ajna chakra.
25) Usually, the Ajna chakra is activated according to the spiritual level, that is accumulated through spiritual progress in previous lives.
26) If you want to decalcify this gland from fluoride, you should stop drinking fluoridated water. This actually means you should don’t consume tap water (especially if you live in the US), and drink distilled or alkaline water instead. For the best-filtered water, it is recommended to use a gravity fed system certified and tested to remove at least 97% of fluoride or a reverse osmosis water filter. Another thing you could do is to use fluoride-free dental products.
27) This organ is formed at 49 days within the embryo. This is the same amount of days that the human embryo becomes either female or male. Also, this is the same amount of time that many Eastern spiritual traditions believe it takes for a soul to reincarnate.